When it comes to skiing and snowboarding, powder days are what we live for. Prepare yourself for the best Colorado powder day with these tips and tricks:
- If you don’t already, get yourself a pair of powder skis at least for the day - you can rent them right here at Copper. There is a big difference when it comes to skiing groomers vs. skiing in powder so make it easier on yourself by getting a “fatter” pair of skis so you can “float” more on the snow. For snowboarders, find the right board shape. Talk to your rental or shop tech to find equipment that will work best for you.
- Get to the lift before it opens. The early bird definitely gets the worm.
- If you just can’t make it then, head to spots off the beaten path. The best places to find powder later in the day is in the trees or even on the outskirts of the main trails. For experts, try the Alpine lift or stick to the Sierra lift. For intermediates, try Timber Ridge and Collage.
- A powder day essential is waterproof clothing. With all that snow flying up around you, you’re bound to get some in and on your jacket, pants, gloves, etc. Equipping yourself with waterproof or water resistant gear is key to staying warm and dry.
- There is such a thing as friends on a powder day! It’s always good to ski or ride with a friend to stay safe. Plus, you’ll have someone to hoot and holler with!
- Skiing powder is a great workout. Make sure you’re taking in plenty of water. Moving around all that snow will tire you out more quickly so be sure to listen to your body and take breaks often.
- Stay safe and vigilant. Sure, it can be a bummer if your favorite terrain isn’t open on a powder day but Ski Patrol is keeping you safe. There are plenty of places around Copper to find deeps turns all day long.
- Most of all: HAVE FUN!
Keep an eye on Copper’s Snow Report for the latest conditions so you don’t miss any powder days.